top of page
  • jobehorsley

How to Enroll in Medicare???

To purchase a Medicare Supplement plan or a Part D prescription plan you first need to be enrolled in Medicare. Once enrolled into Medicare, you will receive a red, white, and blue Medicare card with your new Medicare number (Medicare Beneficiary Identifier).

So you might be wondering how do I get enrolled in Medicare to receive my Medicare card? Many people our automatically enrolled into Medicare. If you have been receiving Social Security or Railroad Retirement Benefits for at least four months before turning 65, you should be automatically enrolled into Medicare. You should also receive your Medicare card about 3 months before you turn 65 years old. Once you receive that card, it would be a good time to start working on getting a Medicare Supplement and Part D plan,

Some people will not be automatically enrolled into Medicare. If someone for instance is still working and is not collecting Social Security or Railroad Retirement, they will not be enrolled automatically. They will need to enroll for Medicare with Social Security. There are three ways an individual can sign up for Medicare:

  1. Visit their local Social Security Office

  2. They can call Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 or 1-877-772-5772 if retired from the railroad

  3. Or by going to the Social Security website or

You can sign up for Medicare 3 months before you turn 65. After you sign up Social Security will send you your Medicare card. If you need to get your Medicare number faster you can always call 1-800-Medicare (1-800-633-4227) and they can sometimes help you get your number. Once you are signed up for Medicare you can then start to work on getting your Medicare Supplement and Part D plans and that is where I can help.

I am an independent insurance agent, which means I work with many different insurance companies to help you find the best fit for you. My goal is not only to help educate but also to help you get the best service and price for you Medicare Supplement plan. I also can help with finding a Part D plan that will meet your needs.

12 views0 comments


bottom of page